Monday, December 13, 2004

GOP May Target Use of Filibuster

The Washington Post today leads today with an article on how the GOP May Target Use of Filibuster in the Senate to push right-wing extremists through the judicial appointment process. It seems like Bush is getting ready to ram through a truly god-awful Supreme Court candidate down our throughts, one who will help to destroy our environment, erode our civil liberties, and deny women the right to abortion.

However, the good news in all of this, if there is any, is that the new Senate minority leader, Harry M. Reid of Nevada, appears to have a set of balls, a couple of fists, and a willingness to fight dirty:

"If they, for whatever reason, decide to do this, it's not only wrong, they will rue the day they did it, because we will do whatever we can do to strike back," incoming Senate Democratic leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.) said last week. "I know procedures around here. And I know that there will still be Senate business conducted. But I will, for lack of a better word, screw things up."

That's the kind of rhetoric I like to hear from our leader in the Senate. If we are going to go down, we're going to go down swinging, as opposed to that wuss Daschle, who always seemed willing to appease the Right.

As Joshua Marshall notes:

I remember a Daschle aide once telling me, in a half-resigned, half-admiring frustration, of a staff meeting in which there was some discussion of playing hardball with some opponent -- I can't remember what they were suggesting or even what the context was. And Daschle's response, seemingly without irony or any double-meaning, was "It's not the Daschle way." And that was that. Perhaps a bit of stiff rectitude, but more a basic decency, one that may not always have served him well in the shiv-play that is now Washington. But I'll let others be the judge of that.

Let me be the judge- nice guys finish last. What we need are bullies for the cause. If I elect someone to represent me, and they aren't willing to defend me because of some personal 'morals' about fighting fair, then I can guarantee that I won't support them next time (at least not enthusiastically). It's time for the Democrats to pick some real men and women who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and their lips bloodied in the name of the cause. Down with the Wussocrats! The fight is on, it is real and the stakes are as high as I can imagine, now lets get some friggin guts and start to stand up to the goddamn Republicans who are driving the middle class, our environment, our civil liberties, and more, off of a cliff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home